Welcome to the Island County Historical Society
|Collection, Preservation, and Interpretation of Island County History
Located in historic Coupeville (est. 1853), on beautiful Whidbey Island, ICHS operates a popular museum that features local and regional history. Ice Age relics, Mammoth remains, a fine Native American collection – including cedar dugout canoes, maritime, early settlers, and the first automobile on Whidbey Island (1902 Holsman auto buggy) are highlighted in our main exhibit. In addition to museum operations, ICHS is active in historic preservation projects, including the Camano Island Schoolhouse, the Ebey’s Prairie “Sheepherders House”, the 1855 Alexander Blockhouse fortress (on museum grounds), and is working to gather a comprehensive historic farm building inventory for Whidbey and Camano Islands. ICHS hosts regular historical programming and special events, including school tours and outreach, oral history gathering, and other interpretive activities.
|Congratulations to the Camano Schoolhouse Foundation!
For about the past 5 years, ICHS has been working with a newly formed foundation, whose mission it is to purchase, restore, and manage the historic Camano City Schoolhouse, as a small museum and community resource for various activities and events. The deal between the foundation (CSF) and the Camano Fire District is now in the final closing stages, and the historic schoolhouse will surely start the new year under new ownership. CSF is looking for volunteers to participate in all aspects of the project – from fundraising to carpentry, to landscaping, etc. ICHS is proud that we could help get CSF started in this worthy project, and wish them the very best – and encourage you to get involved in preserving another important feature of our Island County historyscape! Contact ICHS for more inromation.
Exciting things in the works… 1) The restoration of the 160 year-old Snakelum Family Canoe is nearing completion! Look for a celebration in late summer / early fall 2013. 2) A video is currently in production that will give us a mini-documentary about the Sunnyside Pioneer Cemetery and those who are at rest there. Several pioneer descendants are providing information and “voiceovers” for the new video. We are hoping for a release party – also in late summer! 3) Work is now underway to create a new exhibit on the ground floor of our museum. It will be a Native American exhibit, and will feature the newly-restored, 27 foot Snakelum Canoe! – We will keep you posted…